Thursday, April 3, 2008

Hiking Dog Mountain

Bob, Ryan, Emily, Carolyn and I went to Dog Mountain for some hiking. The Dog Mountain trailhead is right off of Highway 14 on the Washington side of the Columbia River Gorge. I have read that in the late spring and summer the trail sees heavy use. It is located close to Portland and Vancouver.

I figured hiking this early in the spring we would probably run into some snow on the mountain. We sure did! Quite a bit more than any of us were expecting. We came prepared though. It was very windy for the last mile of the trail. There wasn't much tree cover.

I took my GPS to track our trail. You can view it in Google Earth or on Google maps. The GPS lost signal a few times so there were breaks in the data. I just connected up the end points so it isn't very accurate in some places.

Definitely stick to the right hand trail when going up the mountain. The views are much nicer. We didn't get to enjoy them that much because of the cloud cover though.

Summit: 2,956 feet
Elevation Gain: 2,806 feet

6 miles round trip



After the hike I posted my first "Trip Report" on http://www.wta.org/. I found this website to be a great resource for trail information, so I thought I'd try to contribute a little.

No comments: